Phone: +593 2 256 1808. Ext. 09
Fax: +593 2 256 7293
Monday to Friday: Appointment times available upon request
- Intellectual Property
Jaime focuses his practice on Intellectual Property, Regulatory, Advertising and Commercial law, including litigation. He has advised national and international companies in a wide range of industries such as food manufacturing, beverages, footwear, cosmetics and banking.
In his practice, he collaborates in coordinating trademark, copyright and patent clearance and prosecution as well as sanitary registrations, distribution agreements, licensing, enforcement and anti-counterfeiting matters.
Mr. Mantilla has been a member of the technical meetings of the National Institute of Normalization (INEN) for the study and adoption of beverage industry standards.
- Participated in a case for the recovery of a well-known international footwear trademark which was unlawfully registered in Ecuador to an unrelated party.
- Pursued enforcement and anti-counterfeiting actions for several Ecuadorian and international companies, including copyrights of a renowned Mexican author, which lead to preliminary injunctions whereby, counterfeited books where seized and destroyed.
- Successfully participated in opposition procedures based on the reproduction of one of the most recognized French Geographical Indications.
- Ecuadorian and international IP portfolio assistance for several of the largest industrial companies in Ecuador, as well as obtainment of sanitary registrations and/or permissions.
- Intensive Postgraduate Course on Copyrights, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 2008
- JD (equivalent), Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, 2007
- Colegio de Abogados de Pichincha
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- Member of the Country Guides Committee of ASIPI
- Collaborated in the article titled Enforcement of IP Rights, published by “IP Value 2006: Building and Enforcing Intellectual Property Value”. Editorial Globe White Page Ltd. London, United Kingdom, 2005.
- Collaborated in the article titled Copyright Litigation in Ecuador, published by “European Lawyer Reference”. Futurelex Limited. London, United Kingdom, 2010.
- Article titled “Competencia Desleal en el Entorno Digital”, published in Volume III of the “Intellectual Property Magazine” of the Catholic University of Guayaquil. Ecuador, 2