Sasha concentrates his practice on Intellectual Property, civil litigation and arbitration. He regularly counsels clients on transactional and contentious matters in a wide range of business sectors including beverage, food, consumer products, retail, apparel, software, pharmaceutical and service industries.
Sasha's transactional IP work includes counseling top-level management, as well as advising clients in relation to trademark clearance, patent/trademark prosecution, licensing, enforcement and anti-counterfeiting. His litigation experience in trademark and unfair business practices (unfair competition) cases includes developing case strategies, obtaining preliminary injunctions and subsequent confirmation, and delivering arguments before the Appeal Boards of the Ecuadorian Patent and Trademark Office as well as before the Courts.
In his arbitration practice Sasha has represented clients as plaintiffs as well as cases where they have been defendants, dealing with different types of conflicts with varying degrees of complexity. He has represented clients both in small disputes and larger ones approximating US $ 60 million.
In addition to the above, he is an invited professor at two different LL.M. programs, one in Arbitration and another one in Intellectual Property. Furthermore, he is frequently invited to be a speaker at seminars dealing with these areas of law.
- Represented one of the largest diary companies worldwide whose trademarks had been unlawfully registered by an unauthorized third party in Ecuador and secured their annulment.
- Drafted pleadings and delivered closing oral arguments in litigation that resulted in the successful recovery of a well known US wholesale trademark that was unlawfully registered in Ecuador to an unrelated party for approximately 10 years.
- Successfully pursued anti-counterfeiting actions for a well-known luxury brand, which led to preliminary injunctions (later confirmed) whereby counterfeit products were seized from all of the major Ecuadorian malls and destroyed.
- Effectively protected the trade-dress of a famous cream product against imitation and ultimately negotiated settlement with infringer.
- Represented plaintiff in controversial trade-dress litigation involving Ecuador's most popular beer putting an end to infringement of client's rights.
- Represented a telecommunications company in a large arbitration dealing with interconnection issues.
Areas of Practice:
- Intellectual Property
- Competition (Antitrust)
- Especialist Degree in Procedural Law, Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar (Quito, Ecuador), 2010.
- LL.M., Columbia University School of Law (New York, USA), 2006.
- JD (equivalent), Pontificia Universidad Católica (Quito, Ecuador), 2002.
- Ecuador (2002)
- Nueva York (2007)
Memberships & Affiliations:
- Ecuadorian Intellectual Property Association (AEP)
- Ecuadorian Arbitration Institute (IEA)
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member board of directors Ecuadorian Arbitration Institute.
- Member board of directors Ecuadorian Intellectual Property Association.
- Arbitrator - Arbitration Centers of the Ecuadorian-American Chamber of Commerce and of the Guayaquil Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of the Latin America Subcommittee of the International Amicus Committee (IAC) of INTA.
- Member of the Leadership Development Committee of INTA.
- Member of the MARQUES IP Outer Borders Team.