Sasha concentrates his practice on Intellectual Property, litigation and arbitration. He regularly counsels clients in the beverage, food, consumer products, retailing, apparel, services, software, pharmaceutical and other industries, on transactional and contentious matters.
Sasha's transactional IP work includes counseling top level management, as well as trademark clearance, patent/trademark prosecution, licensing, enforcement and anti-counterfeiting. His litigation experience in trademark and unfair business (unfair competition) cases specifically includes developing case strategy, obtaining preliminary injunctions and later their confirmation, and delivering arguments before the appeal committees of the Ecuadorian Patent and Trademark Office and the ordinary justice courts.
In his arbitration practice Sasha has represented clients as plaintiffs as well as cases where they have been defendants, dealing with different types of conflicts with varying degrees of complexity. He has represent clients both in small disputes and large ones approximating US $ 60 million.
In addition to the above, he is an invited professor at two different LL.M. programs, one in Arbitration and another one in Intellectual Property. Furthermore, he is frequently invited as a speaker to seminars dealing with these areas of law.
- Represented one of the largest diary companies worldwide whose trademarks had been unlawfully registered by an unauthorized third party in Ecuador and secured their annulment.
- Drafted pleadings and delivered closing oral arguments in litigation that resulted in the successful recovery of a well known US wholesale trademark that was unlawfully registered in Ecuador to an unrelated party for approximately 10 years.
- Successfully pursued anti-counterfeiting actions for well known luxury goods brand, which led to preliminary injunctions (later confirmed) whereby counterfeit products were seized from all of the major Ecuadorian malls and destroyed.
- Effectively protected a famous cream’s trade-dress against imitation and ultimately negotiated settlement with infringer.
- Represented plaintiff in controversial trade-dress litigation involving Ecuador's most popular beer to successfully resolve infringement.
- Represented a telecommunications company in a large arbitration dealing with interconnection issues.
Areas of Practice:
- Intellectual Property
- Competition (Antitrust)
- Especialist Degree in Procedural Law, Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar (Quito, Ecuador), 2010.
- LL.M., Columbia University School of Law (New York, USA), 2006.
- JD (equivalent), Pontificia Universidad Católica (Quito, Ecuador), 2002.
- Nueva York
Memberships & Affiliations:
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Colegio de Abogados de Pichincha
- Ecuadorian Intellectual Property Association (AEP)
- Ecuadorian Arbitration Institute (IEA)
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Current member board of directors Ecuadorian Arbitration Institute.
- Current member board of directors Ecuadorian Intellectual Property Association.
- Arbitration Secretary - Arbitration Centers of the Ecuadorian-American Chamber of Commerce and of the Quito Chamber of Commerce.
- Chair 2008 - 2009, INTA Non-traditional Trademarks, Latin American & Caribbean Subcommittee, INTA Non-traditional Trademarks Committee.